By Lesley Kennedy
Streeter McClure, the owner of a Denver company that designs and fabricates jewelry safes, has combined his love of eating good food and drinking good beer to write the new cookbook, The Single Man’s Guide to Cooking with Beer. A Midwest native, he was introduced to the art of beer-making during his college job at Coaches Micro Brewery in Norman, Okla., while attending the University of Oklahoma. It was during his college years that McClure discovered adding a beer to chili stretches the recipe and adds flavor. Inspired by his mother, who died of breast cancer in 2004, to publish the book, McClure is donating a portion of the book’s sales to breast cancer research.
Find The Single Man’s Guide to Cooking with Beer online at thesinglemansguide.com, Andrisen Morton, Homer Reed and several local microbreweries. Call 800-908-7057 for more information.
How the book came to be: I’ve always loved to experiment in the kitchen. But, the inspiration for the book came from a recipe that my mom used to make, One Beer Chili. It had a special flavor, and it made me realize the virtue of adding beer to recipes.
On cooking: I’ve always enjoyed cooking, but it didn’t become a necessity until I was in college. When my finances were limited, I didn’t have a choice except to cook my own meals.
On beer: After I graduated from college, I got a job at a microbrewery. It was there that I had the privilege of learning about different types of beer and how they are made. I was intrigued.
On beer in cooking: It not only enhances the flavor of the dish, it stretches the recipe. The One Beer Chili will last a week!
Where the recipes come from: Some recipes were original, just foods that I love. Other recipes were adapted from existing dishes, and I added beer and other ingredients to complement and enhance the flavors.
His favorite recipe: Mom’s Lemon Baked Fish. It’s a great summer recipe that is full of flavor, and very healthy.
His favorite beer: Mighty Arrow, which is an Indian Pale Ale by New Belgium Brewing Company
On his mom: My mom was an eccentric woman who marched to the beat of her own drum. She spent a great deal of time helping other people and giving back to causes that were important to her. She inspired me to start and finish this project, and to give something back. As a result, I have decided to donate a percentage of the proceeds from the sale of each book to breast cancer research.
What’s next: I’ve already started writing “The Single Man’s Guide to Cooking with Wine.”
20 QUESTIONS WITH STREETER McCLURE
1. My go-to outfit: Jeans and a sports coat
2. Guilty pleasure:The Tyra Banks show. It’s like a train wreck. You just can’t look away.
3. My theme song would be: Against the Windby Bob Seger
4. Beauty products I can’t live without:Aveda shampoo and conditioner
5. I get my hair cut by: Alex at Salon on the Boulevard
6. Hidden talent:Spotting Kenny Rogers look-alikes
7. Must-see TV: It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia on FX
8. Best advice my mother ever gave me: You catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar.
9. I’m now reading: I’m re-reading The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand.
10. My perfect meal: Anything out of my cookbook
11. My best vacation: Weekends in Santa Fe
12. I wish I had more time to: fly fish
13. I can’t start my day without: Six cups of coffee
14. Favorite jeans: True Religion
15. Must-have accessory: A lovely lady
16. Favorite designer: Tom Ford
17. Best bargain I’ve ever scored: An original Robert Gorman at an estate sale
18. Favorite movie: Shawshank Redemption
19. Favorite color: Gray
20. Signature scent:Bavaardi for Men